Thursday, November 1, 2012

Cup of China: Short Dance LIVE BLOG

1) Xioyang Yu & Chen Wang (CHN)
   Music: Oh Susanna & Twilight Waltz
  • Oh boy, a Chinese team doing a cowboy theme?
  • I've always loved her facial expression
  • This his very zippy
  • He was a little crooked on the twizzle, they could've held them out longer
  • They are losing energy in the Tennessee Waltz segment
  • Oh boy, Cotton Eye was a surprise
  • 20.58 (TES) + 22.39 (PCS) = 42.97
2) Madison Chock & Evan Bates (USA)
 Music: Quidam
  • Her costume is absolutely to die for
  • They need to kill this!
  • She is perfectly in character, I love it
  • Their posture and flow over the ice is gorgeous
  • This Cirque piece suits them, she can use all of her flexibility to her advantage
  • Nice unison on the twizzles, though the arm positions weren't always matching perfectly
  • From what I know thus far of the Yankee polka, they seem to be doing well, the rhythm is there
  • I particularly like the teams that have bought into the whimsy of the Yankee Polka
  • She is divine
  • 30.90 (TES) + 28.36 (PCS) = 59.29
3) Charlene Guignard & Marco Fabbri (ITA)
 Music: Buonglorno a Te & Tritsch Tratsch 
  • We are seing such beautiful, light programs in the short, it's a breath of fresh air
  • He is very smooth with great upper body carriage, but she seems to flail a lot
  • That rotational lift looked a little reckless
  • That all looked so frantic to me
  • 29.17 (TES) + 26.40 (PCS) = 55.57
4) Victoria Sinitsina & Ruslan Zhiganshin (RUS)
 Music: Tennessee Waltz & Country Polka
  • Another Tennessee Waltz? 
  • This team is divine, let's see how they translate as seniors
  • Very smooth so far
  • He looks like a senior man, but she looks like a junior lady; could be the costuming
  • I like the mirroring patterns, but they weren't executed quite perfectly
  • The choreography in these "country" pieces is offensive to people from the south
  • 28.25 (TES) + 26.84 (PCS) = 55.09
5) Xintong Huang & Xun Zheng (CHN)
  Music: Waltz & Polka
  • This is the most understated costuming I've ever seen on them
  • They usually score quite well in the short dance so we'll see
  • They are never afraid to go to a "costumey place" you'll never see him in all black
  • Nice speed off the bat, but synch issues in the twizzles
  • I love how expressive they are with their upper bodies
  • I don't like the disconnect between the waltz an the polka, it just looks sloppy to me
  • His arms are getting so sloppy in this second section of the piece 
  • 21.99 (TES) + 24.77 (PCS) = 46.76
6) Ekaterina Bobrova & Dmitri Soloviev (RUS)
  Music: Put in a Good Word for the Poor Hussar & The Crew
  • This is the best I've ever seen her costumed
  • Very fast opening, great use of the musical nuances and intricacies
  • Very quick work of the polka, clean crisp steps
  • This music is so charming
  • You can tell this is their second event, the look so well trained and rehearsed
  • That lift seemed terribly out of place for this program
  • Very nice program, I think that is my favorite short dance that I've seen
  • 31.50 (TES) + 32.82 (PCS) = 64.32
7) Kaitlyn Weaver & Andrew (CAN)
  Music: The Sound of Music
  • Gorgeous musical selection from such a classic-looking team
  • I'm missing some of the expression that I've come to love from them
  • Okay, they are coming more into the performance here in the 2nd part
  • Twizzle synchronization issues, Andrew was a little slower
  • That was a wonderful straight line-no touching sequence 
  • That was delightful and so enjoyable to watch
  • 32.83 (TES) + 32.76 (PCS) = 65.59
8) Nathalie Pechalat & Fabian Bourzat (FRA)
  Music: Gaite Parisienne & Sous le ciel de Paris 
  • I just love the costuming
  • Very playful, their showmanship is always fantastic
  • Very good speed at the beginning, a little frantic in the twizzles
  • I have difficulty tracking the skaters when then do the mirroring sequences
  • I love the idea of that straight line lift, but it loked very labored
  • I love the quickness of the last section, but it is a very abrupt transition from the middle piece of music
  • I like this program but it's not at it's best, I can see it being stellar by the end of the season
  • 34.00 (TES) + 35.15 (PCS) = 69.15

No comments:

Post a Comment